It was mid-July, it was hot and we spent the entire day looking at literally 15 potential homes in Wichita. We saw many great houses that day, but most of them were just not functional or up to HIA standards. For some reason, God kept pointing us back to the second house we looked at that day. To be honest, we had originally only looked at this home because of its history and the fact that it would be exciting to tour. As we sat down for a dinner, this house kept coming up in our discussions.
“Think of all the men that we could help at this home!”
“This house has such an incredible story!”
“It’s in the heart of Wichita!”
As the process continued, we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this house was meant to be our first HIA Wichita home!
So today, we are so excited to announce that HIA’s first home in Wichita, Kansas is the historic Schnitzler Mansion!
- Henry Schnitzler’s father was one of the founding fathers of Wichita and opened up one of the first saloons in the city.
- Mr. Schnitzler built this historic home as an anniversary gift to his wife, Albertina.
- Mr. Schnitzler’s poker room served as the original meeting place for Wichita’s first Elk’s Club.
- In addition to being a prominent real estate investor, Henry Schnitzler established much of his wealth from liquor distribution at the turn of the 20th century. (Isn’t that crazy?!)
- This home was built with ties to the foundation of Wichita. Hope is Alive looks forward to playing our part in the community and being a resource that the city can count on!
- This home was built with love in mind. Hope is Alive plans to put love at the center of all that we do in Wichita!
- This home was built on the backbone of liquor distribution at the turn of the 20th century. Hope is Alive is going to flip that on its head and make this home a safe-haven of recovery for years to come!
I’m sure that if the walls of the Schnitzler Mansion could talk they would tell some pretty interesting stories! Now, stories of hope, restoration and radical life change will be a staple of the Schnitzler Mansion for generations to come!
Opening our first home outside of Oklahoma is a daunting task, and there’s no doubt that we need YOUR help to make it happen! The ONLY way that we are able to push our mission forward and help the addicted in Wichita is side by side with our volunteers, supporters, and donors. Below are ways that YOU can help starting THIS week!
House Preparation Day:
- On October 19 starting at 9AM we will be hosting a house preparation day. We need all hands on deck for cleaning, dusting and house prep. This day is crucial for helping to make this house an HIA HOME! Join us on Oct 19th! Address below..
- On October 20 starting at 9AM we will begin moving all furniture into our home and need your help moving couches, organizing and decorating rooms. This will be a great opportunity for you to serve HIA alongside our first few residents. Join us on Oct 20th! Address below..
- We will need NEW beds, NEW bedding, couches, and tables, lamps, appliances, rugs, and various other items for this new home. There are a few ways you can help make this happen.
- Donate Furniture: If you have quality furniture that you would like to donate, please contact me at (918) 605-1834 and we will arrange a pick-up or drop-off.
- Shop our Amazon Wishlist: Visit this link and you can shop for items that are specifically selected for this home. Each item you purchase will be sent straight to our new Wichita home.
- Send a financial gift: Maybe you, your family, your life group or your church would like to help Hope is Alive furnish this new home by sending a financial contribution. This would be a HUGE help to us. Click here to give through our online tool. You can also mail donations to HIA at 14401 N. May Ave. Oklahoma City, OK 73134
- Our men will need lots of toilet paper, paper towels, trash bags, laundry detergent, dish soap, pledge, windex, mops, and any other household supplies that are available. You can bring any of these items to our house prep day or move in day on October 19th or 20th. You can also shop for these items on our Amazon Wishlist. Click here to shop!
Lastly, SAVE THE DATE for our Open House!
- Thursday, November 1, 2018
- It will be a come and go event from 6:30 PM to 9 PM
- Address: 1002 South Broadway Avenue, Wichita, KS 67211
Click here to let us know you’re coming!
We cannot wait to plug you in with what God is doing at Hope is Alive Wichita. Please do not hesitate to call or text me at (918) 605-1834 if you have any questions about the above opportunities. We look forward to seeing you soon!